12 October 2006

London Calling

Last week was a really big week for me personally, as two big things happened. I'm not going to post about them both in one post as they're so different, so you'll have to wait for the other one!

The first big thing was that I went back to my choir. I've always sung in a choir, ever since I was eight, and it's a huge part of my life. I started in our church choir, then with the Royal School of Church Music who run cathedral choirs, and then local choral societies as I got older.

In 2004 I joined the BBC Symphony Chorus, and I absolutely love it. I get to sing a really wide repertoire with some amazing orchestras and conductors and best of all, we're one of the main choirs for the Proms! The BBCSC provides the choir that sings on the first and last nights in the Albert Hall, so I have sung on stage at the Last Night of the Proms - I never thought I'd be able to say that! (They also provide singers for the Blue Peter Christmas show - so I've done that too - how cool will it be when my daughter is old enough to watch?)

I had decided to miss some time before our wedding, so didn't do the 2005 Proms, and then when I found out I was pregnant I realised that I was going to be far too tired to commit to the 3 nights a week (plus concerts) I would need to do, so I missed all of the 2005/06 season as well. Last week, the new season started, so I went back for the first time in almost a year.

I was really nervous about going, as I realised that I had not been out of my comfort zone of friends and family for over six months. It was quite scary to realie how easy it is to fall into the habit of not going out and not making any effort. I knew that if I didn't go, I'd never get back, and so I forced myself out of the door.

Once I'd made it, bought my ticket and got on the train, I suddenly realised just how much I missed it. I've always enjoyed working in London, and am one of those weird people who doesn't mind the commute (I leave enough time to travel in rush hour without having to push or shove anywhere). When I finally arrived in Victoria Station I actually felt relieved to be back - not the normal reaction to the hustle and bustle, I know!

Being back singing was fantastic - apart from seeing other normal people again, just getting the workout was great. It's amazing how having a baby teaches you about support and all the muscles you need to use when you're singing; I guess knowing where my pelvic floor is helps too!

I just hope I can carry on. N goes back to work next week, and as it stands he won't be home by the time I need to leave to get there. My mum has offered her partner's services (not sure if he knows though) so hopefully we can work something out. I miss not seeing my daughter's bed time as it's my favourite part of the day, but I know I'm a much better mother to her when I feel that I have a life that isn't all about her.

No comments: